Category Archives: Sport
Legends XV Vs. Colmcilles XV
Great Craic was had by all when the Legends XV played St. Colmcilles XV this evening. Many GAA All stars turned up for what was a great evening’s entertainment. Some of the players included:
- The mayor of Drogheda, Richie Culhane,
- Darragh Ó Sé – Kerry footballer and six time all Ireland champion,
- Graham Geraghty – Winner of 2 All Ireland titles for Meath in 1996 and ’99,
- Michael Duignan – who won 2 All Ireland hurling medals for his home county, Offaly.
- Peter Canavan – AKA Peter the Great, winner of 2 All Ireland medals & 6 All Star awards,
- Nigel Crawford, Winner of 1 All Ireland & 3 Leinster titles for Meath, including captaining them to their win over Louth in the 2010 Leinster Final.
- John Mullane,Waterford Hurler & Legend in his own right is a 4 time Munster Hurling Champion. He also has 5 All Stars and a National Hurling League Title to his name.
- Ross Carr, Double All Ireland winner for County Down,
- Seamus Moynihan, Winner of 4 All Ireland titles for County Kerry,
- Robbie O’Malley, who played for St. Colmcilles, as well as Meath during the 80’s & 90’s and has 2 All Ireland medals & 3 All stars to his name,
- Bernard Flynn, who has 2 All Irelands and 5 All Star Awards for Meath and was also a Cilles man.
There is also one (or two) of Bernard Flynn with local lad, Noel “Take another picture of me!” Lannon (who is wearing Bernard’s original 1987 All-Ireland winning jersey!)
Michael Duignan played in goal and also managed to commentate too! Meanwhile John Mullane (who also played in goal for a penalty kick tournament) played a blinder, as did Peter “The Great” Canavan. However, the true class of all the Meath players (both from the Cilles and The Legends) shone through in the end…& as a Meath man, I am not being one bit biased!!!
Great Racing At Whiteriver Karting
It was a fine day for race fans today at Whiteriver Karting in Collon. There were on-track scuffles from the bambino’s all the way up to the seniors and let me tell you, the young ones didn’t hold back!
It was organised by Tullyallen Karting Club, they race in various circuits around the Louth, Meath and Dublin area, including Athboy, Santry and Whiteriver Collon.
It was great to see that the proceedings were kept safe and fair by the marshall’s today, one of which is pictured below. I won’t say his name because he’s very shy (yeah right!) and, from an internet presence is as rare as a Sumatran rabbit (that’s why I was delighted to get a photo of such a rare species, but if you click this link, it should give you a big enough hint!!)
Unexpected Bike Race
I was heading to my daughters under 12 football match this evening, intending on taking a few photographs of her playing for St. Colmcilles against Navan O’Mahonys and as I approached, I noticed that there were a lot of vehicles for such a game. It turned out that there was also a bike race scheduled to start at the same time. So, I had to make a decision…Stay and watch my daughter play her match or seize the opportunity for some sports photography and take a few snaps of the bike race.
Father of the Year
What to do, what to do?!? Well, get out the award for father of the year because I did the right thing in the end, I took a few photos of my daughter playing Gaelic (after taking a few of the race!!) I checked to see how long the race was on for and did a little bit of arithmetic in my head and I reckoned I’d be able to do both. What I hadn’t reckoned on was the fading light. So, I got a few shots of the cyclists and one or two of the match. Luckily, she has another match next week. I was also asked to cover another bike race in Carrickmacross early next month, so keep an eye out in my blog for that one too.